Teenage Hair Loss | New Orleans Hair Replacement Restoration Studio
Teenage Hair Loss: A Closer Look
Hair loss does not take into consideration the age or gender of the individuals it affects. Teenagers everywhere, including in the Kenner and New Orleans area can fall victim to hair loss just like anyone else. There are several factors that can come into play causing teen hair loss like unmoderated stress, nutritional deficiencies, and autoimmune disorders. The adolescent years can be tough.
Teens go through a lot of changes in their bodies and the social pressures can be difficult to deal with. When a teen experiences hair loss it absolutely can affect their self-esteem and that can linger into their adult lives. When you think of teenagers, you think of individuals full of vibrancy, youth, and looking your best. That is why hair loss can be such a problem. There is good news as hair loss is highly treatable. The first thing that needs to be done is to identify the underlying source of the problem.
Understanding Teenage Hair Loss Causes
If you are a teenager and suffering from thinning hair you should consult with a hair loss specialist to help address the underlying cause. Common causes include:
• Chemotherapy Treatment: Potent medications used in chemotherapy, such as Cisplatin and docetaxel, may cause hair loss.
• Trichotillomania: An obsessive-compulsive disorder where sufferers have the urge to pull out their hair. Unrelenting stress may cause Trichotillomania.
• Certain Hairstyles: Hairstyles like ponytails and buns cause constant pressure on delicate hair strands, leading to damage and hair fall.
• Autoimmune Diseases: Diseases like Alopecia Areata create hair loss by attacking healthy cells in the body. This includes cells in the hair follicles.
• Genetic Conditions: Patterned baldness is a condition commonly linked to hair loss. It typically affects middle-aged individuals’ but early onset may occur during a person’s teenage years.
• Dietary Deficiencies: A drop in minerals such as zinc, niacin, and iron in a person’s diet could bring on hair loss symptoms.
Teenage Hair Loss Solutions
Doctors may recommend the use of creams like corticosteroids or the use of injections on the scalp as a way to stimulate hair growth. Minoxidil is another popular medication used. It widens the blood vessels so more oxygen can get to the hair strands. This leads to hair that is thicker and healthier. Dieticians can sometimes help hair loss sufferers by giving them specialized meal plans that can enhance hair growth.
For teens, hair loss is often just temporary. Often by resolving the underlying cause, hair will begin to grow again and a head full of hair will be restored. If your teen is dealing with hair loss and you are looking for a solution, call us today. We offer many different solutions from beautiful human hair wigs to non-surgical hair replacement that can help give you or your teen back the hair they need and deserve. We work one-on-one with you to answer all your questions and concerns and help you find the perfect hair loss solution for your individual needs and wants.